[linux-audio-user] Making Audio on Linux Just Work: (1) defining the goals

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Dec 20 15:05:31 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 08:57 -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:
> On 12/18/05, Ross Vandegrift <ross at jose.lug.udel.edu> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 03:51:37PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> > > Simple things don't even work, like, if I click a media link that opens
> > > an external player, then it finishes playing, then I click another link,
> > > rather than opening in the same player it launches a new one.
> > > Eventually I have 50 media players open.
> >
> > It's not the job of the browser to keep accounting on external apps.
> > If it were, it'd be doomed to failure anyhow - that task can never be
> > accomplished.
> >
> > Rather, it is up to the individual applications to do the right thing
> > if there is a session already open.
> >
> > xmms has worked the way you seem to expect since its inception.
>
> At some point I managed to get it not to do that and I don't know how
> I did it.  I upgraded and now it opens in the same window, toasting my
> previous song list.  I prefer it to open a bunch of windows myself.

what really bothers me are websites with links that are somehow encoded
with mime types that cause firefox to override my settings for playing
audio material. for one whole class of websites, xmms is started and
used entirely appropriately. there is another set of them (not that many
and i have no immediate examples) where firefox launches mplayer
internally instead. i have never been able to figure out why: in all
cases, the highest level data type was "mp3" ....