[linux-audio-user] Making Audio on Linux Just Work: (1) defining the goals

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 17:00:57 EST 2005

On 12/20/05, Jeremiah Benham <jjbenham at chicagoguitar.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 12:36:11PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > least on my systems, which can end up with multiple mp3's playing at
> > the same time. Stuff like starting an mp3/ogg/xxx file playing, and
>
> Give an example of where this happens to you. What website does this?
>
> Jeremiah

It's independent of what web site. If the machine is set up with
mplayer, ands if this happens, then it happens with any media you get
to through the broswer. It can even be local media not from the web
but available on my network.

Note that I'm probably not like all the old time Linux users. I do not
prefer CLI unless I have a reason to be working there. I do like to be
able to choose my applications when doing serious work, but when it
comes to day-to-day browsing I want an all-in-one solution that I
don't have to configure and it just works. I don't generally have the
time or patience for messing with config files. I'm sure I'm in the
minority here, but I don't think that will be true as more and more
people come to Linux platforms.

Note #2: All my comments are coming from within Gnome and using Alsa,
not esd, arts, etc.

Cheers,
Mark