[linux-audio-user] Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Paul set at pobox.com
Tue Dec 20 23:32:11 EST 2005

"I. I. Ooisen" <ii001001 at yahoo.ca>, on Tue Dec 20, 2005 [08:56:49 AM] said:
> On Tuesday 20 December 2005 07:55, Noah Roberts wrote:
> > On 12/19/05, I. I. Ooisen <ii001001 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > > is it because noteedit is a kde app and most of us are gnome
> > > supporters?
> >
> > localhost mp3 # emerge -pv noteedit
> >
> > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies ...done!

[ genormous list of dependancies ]

> > Total size of downloads: 31,312 kB
> >

> > I have to admit that is definately a point against it.  Even with
> > emerge I'm not that interested in adding all that crap to my system
> > right now.

..

> NOW SERIOUSLY:
>
> the way i see it packed under portage is a point against GENTOO, not
> against NOTEEDIT. really!
>
> i didn't have to apt-get kappfinder in order to use noteedit or anything
> like kdemultimedia (also kmid, or kmix, or arts, or mpeglib, or kscd?!?
> -- GENTOO REALLY SCARES ME HERE... I HAD BETTER OPINIONS ON IT!)

	Hi;

	In all fairness, that ebuild is probably going a little
overboard, by being lazy. It actually depends on 'kdemultimedia',
to get its kde thing going, which drags in most of that stuff.
And then it ignores USE to force inclusion of arts, and also
includes the optional tse3 lib.
	This is fairly anti-ethical to the Gentoo Way, and if
I cared at all about noteedit, I would probably fix the ebuild
and submit a bug report. (At the *very least*, arts should not be
being forced here, and some of the other stuff like tse3 should
probably depend on if midi is desired.)

Paul
set at pobox.com