[linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues, was FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT

I. I. Ooisen ii001001 at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 21 10:15:44 EST 2005

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 17:09, Dave Phillips wrote:
> I. I. Ooisen wrote:
> >>However, I recognize that I am not like most musicians.  Since no
> >>one else here is either, I felt someone needed to stick up for
> >>them.  So many people seem to wonder why more musicians aren't
> >>using Linux.... the "use the command line, it's better"
> >>mentality is one of them.  Most musicians and many recording
> >>engineers are going to think something's gone horribly wrong if
> >>they see a command line.
> >
> >right. "command line", the way we see it now, is a primitive way to
> > put a computer to work.
>
> No, it's a very powerful way of working with a computer.

i must emphasize it, and i will:

"command line", THE WAY WE SEE IT NOW, is a primitive way to put a
computer to work.

command line will *always* matter. "the logos" can always express things
which the image or sound themselves will never be able to. so i don't
think command line will _ever_ become obsolete. not even if we will
connect our mind directly to the computer.

in fact, as soon as we can "talk" to the computer, the command "line"
will be the most... modern way to talk to computers. no way for it to
ever become obsolete.

i was only arguing against low-level programming languages, because of
which almost all my non-techie friends think programming is only for
engineers. (of course... c(++) and assembler is a valid evolutionary
step for now.)

and i am sure you very much agree.