[linux-audio-user] midi-through vs virmidi

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:34:02 EST 2005

Hi

I'd like to route all keyboards into one alsa device and then make
csound read from there. I used to use virmidi for that, but
unfortunately that's unavailable under the demudi
2.6.12-3-multimedia-686 kernel. So I tried using midithrough for the
same purpose and although I only have one keyboard with me it seems to
work. So my questions are:

1) Can I expect to reliably mix alsa clients by routing them to the
midi-though client and reading from it's output?

2) Is there a cleaner way of doing this?

3) What's the conceptual difference between virmidi and midi-through?

Thanks in advance for any response...

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte