[linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues, was FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT

Lars Luthman larsl at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 21 16:28:21 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 15:57 -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:29:42PM +0000, S. Massy wrote:
> > indeed. For example, I recently wanted to have a poke at synths: there
> > is a staggering number of synths available for Linux (modular synths,
> > emulators, you name it), but finding one that doesn't require a GUI is
> > quite a challenge.
>
> Depends on your definition of "synth" I guess.
> For one thing, there are a staggering number of csound patches on the net.
> The problem is that few of them are plug-and-play in the way
> that a hardware synth is.  E.g. if a csound orc isn't designed to be
> driven via midi, you have to hack that in yourself.

Most DSSI synths should work fine in jack-dssi-host without a GUI too.
If you run 'jack-dssi-host -n whysynth.so' (for example), it will load
the WhySynth plugin and create an ALSA-seq input port and JACK output
ports and connect them to the alsa_pcm playback ports, and you will be
able to connect your keyboard or sequencer to the ALSA-seq port and use
it to change programs and controllers.

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php