[linux-audio-user] A bit of homemade music

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Wed Dec 21 19:05:48 EST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:29:39PM +0100, Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Steve D had previously written:
> >No fancy stuff, just a short trifle, a piano piece recorded into Ardour,
> >http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/audio/ogg/arabesque1.ogg

> This is really nice. Thank you.
>
> Is it a real piano? Otherwise what have you used?

Thank you for the compliment Cesare. It's just a compositional fragment,
but I like it and may do more with it someday. ;-)

Regarding the piano sound, it comes from some very fine samples I bought
on CD from sound engineer and musician William Coakley, the "Perfect
Piano Series, Volume V"--

http://williamcoakley.com/

They are the best piano samples I have ever heard, both in hardware form
(such as in the ROM of MIDI tone generators or their optional add-on
cards), or in software (such as the many piano "plugins" for use on the
computer with various MIDI/digital-audio programs (Gigasampler format,
"Ivory," etc.)

I have a Roland FantomXR single-space rack-mounted MIDI controlled tone
generator, and I loaded William Coakley's piano samples (as well as his
custom patches for the Fantom/FantomXR) onto the Compact Flash card I
have inserted into the FantomXR's front-panel memory-expansion slot.

I have tried various synthesized and sampled pianos in the past, and
listened critically to various digital-audio demo files of others, and
these particular samples of William Coakley sound the best to me. I'm
very happy with them.

Best wishes,

-Steve Doonan, New Mexico, US