[linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 21 20:29:11 EST 2005

> From: Greg Wilder <greg at gregwilder.com>
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound
> 	issues
> To: linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu
>
> On Wednesday 21 December 2005 10:09, Dave Phillips wrote:
<snip>

> > I believe the primary reasons more musicians don't use Linux have to do
> > with at least these conditions:
> >
> >   1. The perpetuation of outmoded perceptions re: usability and interfaces.

Most people are happy with the DAW they are using, if only because it's
what they know. People rarely change DAWs. Trying to get a Logic user to
switch to Cubase is virtually impossible, yet alone getting them to use
a different OS. Also, there could be years worth of work in a
propriatory format that can only be read in a particular version of a
DAW running under a particular version of the OS.

I've had people who are used to recording with computers pick up Ardour
in a few minutes. I don't know if the same people could install a Linux
distro and Ardour and whatever softsynths unassisted though.

> >   2. The lack of wide hardware manufacturer support.
> >   3. The reticence of the major music journals to cover the growing
> > Linux audio scene.

Sound on Sound has been pretty good. There are little bits almost every
month, if not about Linux then about Jackd on OSX. Other music magazines
seem to consist of cut and pastes from web pages and advertisements.

> >   4. The lack of serious attention given Linux audio from within the
> > larger Linux community itself.
> >   5. No-one has released a hit created with Linux audio tools.

Just you wait. :)))

> While I agree with points 1-4, I think there needs to be a bit of
> clarification added to point #5.
>
> Hundreds (probably more like thousands) of commercial releases involve
> GNU/Linux audio tools.  I know this because I have contributed dozens myself
> (national television and radio spots, theatrical scores, commercial CD
> releases etc.).  But how would anyone know which tools I've used?

I try to give credit to software I've used in the sleeve notes if
possible.
The last one I recorded ('I bless the day I found you' on Boobytrap
records) has thanks to:

"Linus, Paul Davis, JLC, SWH and anyone else involved in Linux audio,
Charlie Steinberg".

I still work in a weird mishmash CubaseSX mixed with Linux stuff. Mostly
Cubase for work. For telly and video work I've used Ardour sometimes,
though sleeve notes are irrelevent there, and no one I was recording has
even commented on what DAW I was using.