[linux-audio-user] The best distro for music creation

Andrew Lewis alewis at systemsfusion.com
Thu Dec 22 20:29:29 EST 2005

Off-topic, and a response to an old post, I know:

Josh Lawrence wrote:
> Yes, that is certainly a consideration.  You can install fluxbox and
> openbox, but I can attest that if you install flux, you will be left
> to build all of your menus by yourself.  As much as I enjoy tinkering
> around with my computer, building the perfect menu is something I
> would rather leave to someone else :)

This is actually a general problem with Ubuntu - in that most KDE apps
don't show in the GNOME menu & vice versa, which is a pain & unfortunate
that a user-centric Linux distro doesn't provide these. GNOME 2.12
apparently finally provides a menu editor, which I haven't been bothered
to find... Running flux... yay...

Oh; I broke my old FC2 boxlet @ home installing PlanetCCRMA (and to
think I deleted a whole load of porn to get it on there :p)... I'm
unfortunate enough to still be running FC2 @Home, cz I'm lazy to find
somewhere to back everything up to, re-install (will get there
eventually)...

Admittedly I didn't read the PlanetCCRMA instructions, manually
installed a bunch of RPMs, ok... Sound in Rosegarden still didn't work
(tried fiddling sequencer timer thingy) & my system became unstable,
would lock up frequently... Downgraded to the PlanetCCRMA kernel closest
to the one I was running, still no luck... Eventually reverted to my old
kernel, disabled rt_irq, and the system is stable now, but... my
consoles lock up periodically (gnome-terminal/konsole/actual system
console when not running X), which is very bizarre... Yay, pain ....

--
Andrew Lewis