[linux-audio-user] CLI synths

S. Massy smassy at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Dec 26 16:17:24 EST 2005

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 01:57:11AM +0100, Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:
> S. Massy wrote:
>
> >That's it; you, guys, convinced me to have another go at csound.
>
> Make sure to ask again, either here, on the csound list or to me offlist
> if you need some pointers. I could throw a bunch of links at you, but
> figure it's better you say what you need when you need it. I might not
> be able to answer your question if you're trying to do things I've never
> done, but for getting-starting-stuff, I could do ok. Besides that the
> csound list if very friendly, knowing and frequented.
Thanks. One very nice thing about csound is how long it's been around,
which means there's no shortage of documentation. The csound reference
manual seems fairly extensive, and I remember from back when I gave
csound a try, about two years ago now, that there were several tutorials
lying about on the internet. This said, if you happen to have a link for
a quickstart, example-based tutorial to get me rolling, I would
certainly appreciate it.

[...]
> >So far, the only
> >modular synth I found which could be accessed from the command-line is
> >Om, but that involves using OSC, and would probably require me to write
> >a little front-end for it, which I might or might not do, depending on
> >how much time I have...
>
> Speaking of om: Om is extremely nice, fast to work with, and uses gui in
> a way that really makes sense. The fact that om uses ladspa plugins for
> almost everything means that the speed of om is the speed of the
> plugins. So although this actually has nothing to do with om, csound is
> able to squeeze more out of my cpu. When om and (mostly) ladspa matures
> this will for sure be a killer combo. Different from csound, but never
> the less a killer combo.
Yeah, LADSPA is a really, really neat thing, as far as re-usable code
goes. The only thing LADSPA lacks right now is some kind of way to
categorise and document plugins. Well, there's RDF, but I haven't seen
many plugins with RDF documentation.

Cheers,
S.M.

smassy at sdf.lonestar.org