[linux-audio-user] Call for WhySynth presets

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Wed Dec 28 13:48:33 EST 2005

Sean Bolton wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Dec 28, 2005, at 4:26 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>>  A few questions re: your excellent WhySynth :
>>
>>    WS seems weird wrt MIDI program change. Am I missing something ?
>> Sending a change from a sequencer or keyboard doesn't match the
>> default list of voices. PC 0 selects a sound all right, but it's not
>> the Slow Strings at position 0 in the default patch list. What is
>> MIDI PC actually selecting ?
>>
>>    Edits made to a patch don't take effect in realtime, or am I
>> missing something again ?
>

> Yeah, something's weird -- on my systems, WhySynth responds
> as one would expect to program changes coming from external
> sources, and patch edits take effect in real time for everything
> except the envelopes (where they take effect on the next note
> played.)
>
> When you send a PC from an external source, does the high-
> lighted patch in the GUI patch list change?  Are you using bank
> select (which might mean program 128 or 256 of 384 is being
> selected instead)?

Okay, I retested WS as a single instance and as two (with the -2 option
for jack-dssi-host). With the single instance everything worked as you
describe. However, in the dual-instance scenario the second synth
receives program changes all right (i.e. the highlighted patch changes
in the patch display), but it wasn't receiving note-ons. :(  But read on...

> If you run jack-dssi-host with the '-v' debug switch, do you see
> messages like this:
>
>     jack-dssi-host: OSC: whysynth/WhySynth/chan00 port 7 = 0.133895
>
> appearing in real time as you edit a patch, or are they delayed?

They're appearing in realtime. I'm not having the problem now, it was
likely just a doofus user error.

>> Okay, that works. Three instances are launched, the first has Channel
>> 0 in its window titlebar, the next has Channel 1, the last has
>> Channel 2. However, only Channel 0 is accessable from my sequencer.
>> What's going on ? The channels referred to are MIDI channels, yes ?
>> How can I reach the other instances ?
>

> What you've done here is start one instance of jack-dssi-host
> hosting three instances of the WhySynth plugin.  jack-dssi-host
> will have one ALSA MIDI port as input, and will split the incoming
> MIDI by channel to send to each of the three plugin instances.
> So if you can get sound on channel 0, you should be able to get
> sound on channels 1 and 2 via the same MIDI connection by just
> changing the MIDI channel number.  Note that jack-dssi-host will
> have created 6 JACK ports for the audio output -- a left and right
> out for each plugin instance -- so make sure these are connected
> appropriately or you won't hear the output.

Ah, there's the cuplrit. I reconnected in QJackCtl for simple stereo
output, and I now have multiple instances of WS making sound.

> HTH.  Looking forward to the demo!

Thanks a lot, Sean. On to the music... :)

Best,

dp