[linux-audio-user] Re: Recording FM Radio Card

Kai Vehmanen kvehmanen at eca.cx
Thu Dec 29 09:31:21 EST 2005

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Kenneth Jacker wrote:

> This produced a file containing constant values (== silence when
> played with 'xmms').  My hunch is I've not specified the correct ALSA
> "device".
[...]
> I checked some of the ALSA docs, the output of 'dmesg', and looked
> around within 'alsamixergui', but don't really know what to do.

Check output of "arecord -l" to get a list of all cards currently
available via ALSA.

Then choose the card number to use, and then use:

arecord -D plughw:N foo.wav
ecasound -i alsa,plughw:N -o foo.wav

... where 'N' is the soundcard number. If you run ecasound with "-i alsa",
that's equivalent to "-i alsa,default". The "default" device is usually
the first soundcard in your system (-> "plughw:0").

PS You can also use "arecord -L" to get even more information
    about the available ALSA devices.

--
  under work: Sofia-SIP at http://sofia-sip.sf.net