[linux-audio-user] low fidelity, long duration recording

Greg Wilder greg at gregwilder.com
Fri Dec 30 17:48:34 EST 2005

On Friday 30 December 2005 01:36, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> On 29 December 2005 at 14:59, Greg Wilder <greg at gregwilder.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 December 2005 13:34, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > > Hi, I'd like to record about 6-8 hours of one channel, very
> > > low fidelity sound.  I'll be recording silence, punctuated
> > > by sound.  It'd be even better if rather than recording that
> > > much silence, that the recorder would only record to hard
> > > drive when there was sound present.  What recording software
> > > would be good for either task?
> >
> > PD is perfect for this kind of task.  It would be fairly easy
> > to build a patch that monitored input level and recorded only
> > above a certain threshold.
>
> I've ready about PD in Linux Journal.  It seems quite obtuse to me.
> I think I stared at a tutorial somewhere once and got a bit put off.
> Where's a good place for someone like me to look to get acquainted
> with enough of PD to accomplish this task?

There's a large and very supportive community around PD:
http://pure-data.iem.at/community/

Outside of that, I'd suggest having a look at the dozens of tutorial and
example files included with the release.  Given what you're looking to do, it
should be fairly simple to pull together a patch from pre-existing examples.