[linux-audio-user] Re: [Jackit-devel] 2.6.10

Robert Jonsson rj at spamatica.se
Sat Jan 1 17:19:55 EST 2005

Hi Russel,

fredagen den 31 december 2004 00.27 skrev Russell Hanaghan:
> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> >Jack O'Quin wrote:
> >>Here are my results running vanilla 2.6.10.  They support your
> >>conclusion, but also the idea that the vanilla kernel is really quite
> >>usable.
> >>
> >>Not sure what system statistics we should collect for this.  My system
> >>is Debian woody with 2.6.10 and realtime-lsm on an Athlon 1800+ XP
> >>with 256MB main memory and M-Audio Delta-66 sound card.
> >
> >Something worth telling, in deed: my laptop's Mandrake 10.1
>
> A question here about Mdk 10.1 {a tad OT}...
> I'm under the impression that there are issues preventing the use of
> newer 2.6 kernels with 10.1 because they break stuff. It seems not as
> you are using this kernel.
>
> I don't have the time or really the skillset to build kernels
> efficiently and I rely heavily on Thac's RPM's for my production box.
> But I'm faced with a bit of a mild dilemna; Thac is not supporting the
> 10.0 RPMs and there have been many upgrades. But I cannot seem to get
> the 2.6.7 mm.7 kernels to boot on my test box running 10.1 official. And
> If I cant have a RT kernel to use, my production box is gathering
> cobwebs. I don't need zero Xruns at 32x2. I just need reliable RT
> performance with modest latency...I mean damn...I can go mess with my
> Winblows machine to remember what latency blessings we have in Linux
> audio! :) And I can always just hide the Qjackctl window; I'm convinced
> that sometimes just seeing the "Xrun monitor" numbers turn red causes
> some folks to tip the box over and start again with a fresh reinstall!
> If I'm prepared to wear my sox 2 days in a row then I can live with some
> red numbers. :)   Dropouts are unacceptable not Xruns.

I've been testing various kernels lately with Mdk10.1 and sofar there is
minimal inpact on the services of the system as far as I can tell.

I've yet to be able to achieve the _really_ good performances that are talked
about here though. Sometimes it's reasonable though not perfect, other times
it's not good at all. Probably I need to harden my system with respect to
irq's or whatever. Florian had a page up somewhere if I understood correctly?

Regards,
Robert

--
http://spamatica.se/music/