[linux-audio-user] Feasibility of Crestron like Linux Based Whole House Audio System - Multisource / Multizone Capable????

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 12:44:51 EST 2005

--- Steve Vanechanos <stevev at comcast.net> wrote:

> Randy
>
> Thanks for the input.  To offer more insight to my
> VISION:
>
> Each destination is equiped with speakers only.  At
> this time, the
> speakers are wired to a central location

A distribution amp.

 and a very
> dumb volume
> control.

Software mixer accessed at the destination via dumb
terminal. Right?

  The
> central location is a single zone amplifier (Sonance
> SonAMP 260).

I don't think that does you any good.

  My
> sources are hooked to a DENON AVR3300.  I use the
> AVR3300's
> multizone capability to enjoy 5.1 surround sound in
> my family room while
> also listening, through the AVR3300's connection to
> the SonAMP 260,
> to a different/same source throughout the house.

I know nothing about surround capabilities but
whatever.

> I want to replace the SonAMP 260 with a multizone
> amplifier

Exactly!

 or a bank of
> amplifiers.  I want to be able to hook my sources up
> to a linux box.

Multiple analog sources. Right now; pick the audio
card that will fulfill all your requirements. This
card will define and restrict considerations. I
suspect you're looking at the M-Audio stuff.

If you have trouble solving the surround and i/o
requirements with an audio card, you'll have to
consider a mixer with surround capabilities. Probably
serious overkill but a great ego trip.

  I want
> the linux box to also be a source so I could load
> CD's and have it act
> as a jukebox.

Multiple jack servers, jack mixer. Learn about that
stuff.

  Then all outputs will go from the
> linux box into the  bank of
> amplifiers which in turn is hooked to the speaker
> pairs throughout the
> house.

If multiple jack servers, then qjackctl for routing,
and you can control routing via dumb terminals.
Otherwise a traditional distribution amp which isn't
as flexible. Of course there are audio and video
distribution amps.

> I want to control zone / source  and volume through
> a web browser
> application.

There are audio tools that handle this already. No
need to recreate the wheel. If you've got two Linux
boxes; 'ssh -X' and you'll begin to get a vision.

  That way, technically I could control
> everything from one
> console
> - not very practicle though.  But then I'd like to
> distribute - at
> geographically convenient locations throughout the
> house - small, wall
> mounted touch screen
> browser "appliances" (for lack of a better
> description) - which would be
> used to run the web app and control the system
> anywhere I choose to
> place one.
>
> The app would work something like this:
>
> A touch screen displays up to eight icons,
> generically zones 1 - 8, but
> the label should easily change to say kitchen,
> master bedroom, etc.

I guess touch screen capabilities don't exist in any
of the Linux Audio UIs.

Replace all touch screens with PDAs. :)

Gotta run. My responses are real terse but there's a
couple hints in there that might give you some ideas.
I would not suggest designing this system on paper and
then buying all the components. Break it into a couple
of phases; source and distribution can be seperated.
You've got a computer, select the audio hardware and
experiement with what exists. Then you can work
towards audio/video distribution. Towards the end of
your research and experiments a user interface for
controling everything will become clear.

The other thing I'd do is fire up Dia and produce a
technical drawing. It's easy enough to adhoc converse
about a great HiFi solutions but I suspect it's time
to become more deliberate.

Anyway, there's a few more quick thoughts.

RON