[linux-audio-user] Interesting product...

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Mon Jan 3 12:05:55 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-01 at 17:48 -0600, Ryan Gallagher wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 23:56 +0100, Emiliano Grilli wrote:
> > It's a synthesized orchestra called synful:
> >
> > http://www.synful.com/
> >
> > the demos are just amazing
>
> Amazing is an understatement.  The demos are UNBELIEVABLE!  I'm in
> shock.
>
> -ry

I was really impressed until I looked at the page explaining their
"synthesis" technology..  It's really more like clever sample mixing
than the pure synthesis their marketing implies.  It's just a database
of samples of phrases that's searched for what matches the current MIDI
phrase, then scaled to match in pitch and time.

Clever, but everything is still just samples being played.  Definitely
sounds pretty good though.

-DR-