[linux-audio-user] Vst with Latest Wine and DSSI-VST

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Tue Jan 4 16:54:49 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 21:19, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Monday 03 Jan 2005 17:01, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> > > one thing i've noticed is that dssi-vst won't load a plugin that has
> > > spaces in its name, even if you call it with the appropriate
> > > command (ie - jack-dssi-host dssi-vst.so:Synful\ Orchestra\
> > > VST.dll).
>
> The reason for this is that the text after ":" in your command line
> specifies a DSSI plugin label, and labels can't contain spaces -- a
> restriction inherited from LADSPA.
>
> To work around this, dssi-vst replaces spaces with asterisks in the
> plugin name.  (Yes, nasty hack.)  Try
>
>   jack-dssi-host dssi-vst.so:Synful\*Orchestra\*VST.dll

that didn't work:

jack-dssi-host: Error: Plugin label "Synful*Orchestra*VST.dll" not found
in library "dssi-vst.so"

> Alternatively, the "vsthost" program in the dssi-vst distribution will
> host a plugin using the server part of dssi-vst but without using
> jack-dssi-host:
>
>   vsthost "Synful Orchestra VST.dll"

wow, that did! strange though - i had to manually install vsthost and
dssi-vst-gui: when i tried to call them, they weren't there, so i had to
copy those to my bin directory manually ...

> This involves slightly less "wrappering", but the result should be the
> same.

indeed it is :)

thanx for that!

shayne