[linux-audio-user] Feasibility of Crestron like Linux Based Whole House Audio System - Multisource / Multizone Capable????

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jan 5 14:22:00 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 23:14 +0100, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> I would not want to transport audio information over long distances using analog
> means. Audio information should be kept digital as close to the speakers as
> possible. I would want to have the (digital) amplifiers close to the speakers.

I almost agree with you. But it might be ok, though, to run high-
amplitude analog signal over lengthy cables. I.e., speaker signal.
At those amplitudes and impedances, there's only a very low risk of
picking up noise. There might be other problems, though (like, leaking
the audio signal into _other_ circuits, etc.).

> I doubt that wall mounted panels make sense as the main remote controls in a
> home environment. One probably would like to have portable control devices after
> a few days (or hours) of standing up, walking to those walls and sitting down
> again.

Yes.

A PDA might be better, coupled with either a WiFi card (insecure, prone
to intentional or non-intentional disruptions), or an IR blaster (needs
a receiver in every room).

Something that's functionally equivalent is used by the commercial
solutions (looks like a large PDA or a tablet PC, with a touchscreen).

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/