[linux-audio-user] setting loop-points

Atte André Jensen atte at ballbreaker.dk
Wed Jan 5 18:42:15 EST 2005

Tobiah wrote:

> You should be able to get apt-get to find boatloads of music
> software packages like Ardour, Jack, Smurf and DAP.

Nice. A couple of questions (as I'm new to CCRMA):

1) The website specifically mentions that only redhat is supported.
Aren't those apt-get's related to apt-get from a redhat machine?

2) If not what are the line(s) I should ad to my sources.list?

3) Will it break my system by grabbing a lot of stuff from CCRMA?

I'm still surprised to find that none of the sample editors I tried
seems to support editing and saving of looppoints. This leads me to the
following rant: Why would I need a bunch of editors (I have at least the
following installed: audacity, rezound, gnusound, xwave, snd, kwave,
gnoise, ecawave and sweep)???? I'd much rather have one that did it all,
did it well and was stable and easy to upgrade (= is in the debian
tree). This is of course due to the nature of OSS development: people
start a new project because they miss something in the existing projects
or simply because they like to code.

Still however much I love linux, this is one of the drawbacks at least
when doing audio work: there're too many small projects that take time
to develop, maintain and for the user to set up and try out.

If it wasn't for csound and abcm2ps (that I consider my main music
applications, I spend about 99% of my music-generating-time in one of
those) I wouldn't be nearly as happy about linux as an audio framework
as I am now. I acknowledge that some people like to spend time
configuring, hacking, testing etc, but for me it's about producing
music, and the two mentioned applications let me to exactly that.

I realize that there's not a lot that can be don about it, just needed
to get it off my chest :-)

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte