[linux-audio-user] setting loop-points

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Thu Jan 6 04:30:10 EST 2005

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:57:56 +0100
Walco <walco-linux at n--tree.net> wrote:

> Hi Atte André,
>
> <snip>
> > I'm still surprised to find that none of the sample editors I tried
> > seems to support editing and saving of looppoints. This leads me to the
> > following rant: Why would I need a bunch of editors (I have at least the
> > following installed: audacity, rezound, gnusound, xwave, snd, kwave,
> > gnoise, ecawave and sweep)???? I'd much rather have one that did it all,
> > did it well and was stable and easy to upgrade (= is in the debian
> > tree). This is of course due to the nature of OSS development: people
> > start a new project because they miss something in the existing projects
> > or simply because they like to code.
>
> <snip>
>
> > I realize that there's not a lot that can be don about it, just needed
> > to get it off my chest :-)
>
> Well, the least you can do is vote for the loop-point editing in
> audacity here:
>
> http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.pl?FeatureRequests

There are actually two sides to this problem:

   - the file I/O layer to add loop points
   - the GUI requirements to add loop points

Many of the above mentioned sound file editors use libsndfile (audacity,
sweep, mhWaveEdit, possibly others) which has just recently gained
suport for reading loop points. If writing of loop points was also added
you would be much closer to your goal.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)