[linux-audio-user] spectral correction

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu Jan 6 10:45:09 EST 2005

Dave Phillips:

>>I'm thinking about renaming Ceres as Ceres4, because Ceres3 sounds
>>newer and better than Ceres. But if I did, Ceres4 would sounds newer
>>and better than Ceres3 again, which might not be true either.
>>
>>(Well, to be hounest, I sometimes think Ceres3 should be named something
>>non-ceres though. It is a bit confusing.)
>>
>As you know, Ceres has had a few hands working on it. I ported the first
>Linux version back in 1997 or so, and many developers have added
>features to various versions since that time. What we need is a
>SuperCeres that incorporates all those features into a single version.

The sources are to different. Ceres3 only supports mono-files and is
very non-thread-safe.
There are two options, either implement the missing features in ceres
to ceres3, or the missing features in ceres3 to ceres1.
Both are quite much work, but I think the last one is the least.

>I'm not sure why Stanko should change the name of Ceres3. His work
>predates your own, and his naming convention simply followed the
>succession starting from the original Ceres (Oyvind Hammer), Ceres2
>(Jonathon Lee), and Ceres2w (WAV support added).

Øyvind Hammer has been working on Ceres in all years, the latest version
(0.15) was released in 2001 if I remember correctly, before I took over.
Even then, it compaired fairly to ceres3. So he never
stopped the development of ceres, still other people released both
ceres2, ceres2w and ceres3. I don't know why, perhaps they had good
reasons.

A superceres would be nice, but the fork happened for a very very long
time ago, and an integration is not an easy task.