[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Noise reduction with FFT

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Jan 6 11:29:40 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 01:42 -0600, Spencer Russell wrote:
> I've got this really noisy audio file I'm trying to clean up, and
> I was thinking, it would be really cool if I could run a clip of
> the file that was just the noise(it's a recording of a discussion
> for a TV broadcast, so when no one's talking, it should be
> silent) and have the program output an average frequency content,
> in some sort of format that another program could take it as
> input and create a filter that would filter out those
> frequencies. It seems like brutefir would be able to do the
> latter part, but is there a way to automatically generate the
> filter definition from the frequency content of a file? Is this a
> feasable method of noise reduction? If it seems like it could
> work, but there isn't a program to do it, I would be interested
> in writing it, if anyone has any input.

It certainly should work, because this is exactly how the NR plugin in
Cool Edit Pro works.  Sound Forge has something similar.  I have used
this to remove analog hiss from old Dead bootlegs.  No idea how to do it
on Linux.

You should not need 2 programs, this should be as easy as select the
noise, "NR -> Analyze", select entire .wav, "NR -> Go", or something.

Any decent .wav editor should do it.  All of them do on Windows.  If
this really can't be done easily on Linux, that's discouraging, it means
we have a LONG way to go.

Lee