[linux-audio-user] setting loop-points

Thu Jan 6 18:50:19 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 15:42, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Tobiah wrote:
>
> > You should be able to get apt-get to find boatloads of music
> > software packages like Ardour, Jack, Smurf and DAP.
>
> Nice. A couple of questions (as I'm new to CCRMA):
>
> 1) The website specifically mentions that only redhat is supported.
> Aren't those apt-get's related to apt-get from a redhat machine?

I don't understand the question. Distros you can use directly with
Planet CCRMA are RedHat 9 and Fedora Core 1, 2 and 3 (RH8.0 and 7.3 are
still there but no longer supported).

> 2) If not what are the line(s) I should ad to my sources.list?

This is documented in the section that talks about configuring apt. On
top of what distro do you want to install?

> 3) Will it break my system by grabbing a lot of stuff from CCRMA?

I need more information. What system? Version? Planet CCRMA is just a
collection of packages and as such it should not break anything (note I
said "should", not "will" :-)

An exception could be the kernels, they are optimized for low latency
when possible (how much depends on which version of the kernel 2.4.x or
2.6.x). It is always possible (but not very likely) that they will not
boot correctly in your particular hardware combination. The other option
(on Fedora Core 2 or 3) is to use the stock kernel that comes with the
distro but that is normally not good enough for low latency work.

Depending on your system and the extra packages you might have installed
it could be that Planet CCRMA packages could conflict with what you
currently have, and then it is up to you to try to resolve the situation
(with the help of apt, of course).

-- Fernando