[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Fri Jan 7 07:57:49 EST 2005

> I get the impression that freedesktop.org are trying to
> pick/have picked a common lesser-of-the-evils for unix
> desktops.

Well, AFAIK the KDE people are looking for a replacement for
arts in KDE 4. Currently, gstreamer seems to be one of the
possible candidates. I really hope that they choose a common
layer in colaboration with freedesktop.org and the Gnome
people.

But even if Gnome and KDE choose gstreamer as multimedia layer
we'll again have different layers; what about command line
programs or alternative window managers?

And I guess you're just kiddin' ;-) . Of course my question
was if JACKD would be a possible candidate that all major
distributors will include in their distros and start it
during boot time. This way we would have a common audio
layer.

And because JACK can work on top of OSS as well as on ALSA
based systems, it's a very flexible solution.

BTW: Meanwhile artsd can use JACK for audio output.

Thanks a lot for JACK BTW :) .

 Best regards

    ce