[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

M P Smoak smoak at mis.net
Fri Jan 7 14:51:15 EST 2005

On Friday 07 January 2005 12:25, Christoph Eckert wrote:
  <snip>
> > One of my problems is I'm learning audio and linux at the
> > same time; I'm an old-IBMmainframe-Win3.1 APL user / sax
> > player.  I'm having fun but not attempting Jack & all yet.
>
> What do you plan when saying 'I'm learning audio'? If you want
> to use your box for making music, you should learn how to use
> jack. Watch my videos to get a basic overview.

Yes, I will learn to use Jack "soon" and will use the videos; thanks
for making them.  "learning audio", well, I've never working with audio
before other than simple analog.  Don't know the jargon,  don't
quite understand why I can't record over a track in Rezound like I record
over a track on tape; what's a cue used for;  why isn't there pause button
on alsaplayer.  But I'm learning, and using Linux audio.  Where I am
now is my office/music-room that's setup for playing all the time.  Our
group of players get together about once a week to play and learn play
better.  Keyboard (sounds from Linux) ready 24/7; 5 good mikes, stands,
chairs and room for more.  Instrument amps, congas, ....  Using Rezound,
QAMix, Realplayer (alsaplayer ...) to record/playback snippets of internet
radio jazz shows to study tunes.  Listening is a key to learning to play
better.  I listening streaming radio most of the time I'm in the room;
listening to CJRT right now using Realplay.  Rezound is ready to capture
a snippet when I want to.

Jack, Ardour recording what we play, ... comes "soon".  I'm slow, you know.

Have fun,
Marv    in Lex. KY