[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Fri Jan 7 16:37:23 EST 2005

> You are absolutely right, and this is a major issue
> preventing linux from gaining popularity among audio
> professionals.

Thanks. Let's have the users in mind.

> In a nutshell, and barring all the technical details to get
> there, there should be a method by which audio applications
> can simultaneously, and easily, write to the speakers .

If possible, not only speakers. If we could manage to make
JACK the common audio layer, then it even would be possible
to write a jackclient that takes the audio from an other
application and streams it over tha web - live, of course,
not simply reading a file. We could play together over the
internet :) !

> That's really what you are advocating, right?

Jep.

> A user of any
> audio app wants to hear the output on his speakers just as
> a gimp user needs to see the results of a graphics program
> on the screen. I don't think it's a complicated issue, but
> the variations of low-level audio applications make it out
> to be. Perhaps the issue stems from what makes linux so
> popular -- it's openness.

Yes. We have the freedom to choose - but the common user does
not want to choose. He simply expects that his operating
system can play sound at any time from any application.

[...]

Read it all but I'll cut a bit.

[...]

> I assume that there are several ways that a user can set up
> linux to drive graphics to a display, but all I know is
> Xserver. This viewpoint begs the question that maybe x.org
> is the "vehicle" -- both technically and politically -- to
> promote and maintain a common method to write to the
> speakers. X.org seems rather big, so it might be the wrong
> organization, but then again, it's power might make it the
> right choice. Perhaps programmers of current low-level
> audio apps will feel that they may lose control by
> approaching this organization. Then again, it might
> significantly elevate the need of audio in the linux
> community by utilizing the x.org organization as the
> vehicle to promote and develop a Unified Audio Driver.

If we'd be able to offer a perfect solution, it'll be used by
the distributors. But of course it would need a bit of
promotion and 'marketing'.

The question is if we are willing and able to drive this;
maybe we are not the right people to do so. But if we do not
know how to do it, who else ;-) ?

First, we'd need a general idea how to do a common audio
layer.

 Best regards

    ce