[linux-audio-user] KX Audio capabilities for Linux EMU10k1 [was Plans/Roadmaps for 2005?]

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Fri Jan 7 18:17:09 EST 2005

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 15:40 +0100, Florian Schmidt wrote:
>

>>i'm writing this email, because i'm interested in what plans the
>>different linux audio developers have for the year 2005 Any new
>>revolutionary applications planned? Major changes to some of the
>>existing apps? So let us know. What are your roadmaps for 2005? What are
>>you guys up to?
>>

>I plan to get my patch adding multichannel support to the emu10k1 ALSA
>driver merged, then work on a real hwdep mixer app (probably by
>extending ld10k1/qlo10k1).  As many of you know I'm a big fan of these
>cards, they are extremely cheap and (with good driver support) perfect
>for an entry level DAW, like a portastudio or something.  Anyone who has
>used the kX drivers on Windows knows how much potential this device has,
>and unfortunately the Linux support is still a joke compared to the kX
>driver can do.  But, that is all about to change, as the two crucial
>features (the DSP patch loader and "kX ASIO", aka the full duplex
>multichannel/low latency PCM device) now exist on Linux.
>
>Lee

oh my god, are you serious? i was using the kx drivers when i was on
windows, and i gotta say they were the best thing since sliced bread!!!
it turned my soundblaster live platinum into a BEAST of a music machine
(well, compared to what it was) ...

when i switched to linux, one of my biggest dissapointments was the
dismal support for the emu10k1 .... especially lack of multi-channel -
by multi-channel support, do you mean that you are able to use the rear
output channel independently of the front channel (at the moment my
front and rear channels are basically inextricably linked)? that is
exactly what i've been trying to get happening for a while now, which i
need for dj mixing work (so's i can have an independent "preview"
channel for cueing music) ....

the dsp configuration in kx audio was the killer ... are you saying
there is support NOW for use of this kind of feature in linux ...where
can i get the patch?

this sounds very exciting to me!

shayne