[linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Sat Jan 8 08:27:30 EST 2005

> The tricky bit is stopping non-RT apps (the bings and bongs
> apps) from messing up the deadlines for the RT apps. I
> would be more confortable if they'd made a MAS server (or
> gstreamer, whatever) that talks JACK, then you only have
> one non-RT app (the server) that has to be carefully
> vetted.

I guess that the KDE people will make a decision together with
the Gnome people. And - important - they will never make
their apps talk to something else than to an additional
server. The server will then talk to the underlaying system,
may it be direct hardware access through OSS or ALSA or
through a server like JACK. So, JACK had only to deal with
one application. BTW: It already possible. arts can use JACK
as the soundsystem, and I have successfully used it.

The question is, which audio interface should non-KDE and
non-Gnome applications use? arts? esound? Talk to an OSS
device? Talk to an ALSA device? Bad, because the device is
most probably settled by the soundserver (JACK, arts,
gstreamer, MAS, whatsoever).

That's the problem. If someone wants to output or receive
sound, he should write many output plugins, and because time
is a lacking thing, he will only write one or two of them.

 Best regards

    ce