[linux-audio-user] converting large number of ogg's to mp3's

anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 16:43:01 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 03:23:56PM +0000, rob wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I need to convert a large no of ogg's to mp3.
> I know that I can convert them one at a time with sox but this is going
> to be fairly tedious for >1000 files.

With sox? I though sox couldn't do mp3.

It's this a shell one-liner using find and lame and the approriate
shell expression to make the output filenames?

> Does anyone know of graphical way of doing this

Graphical ways aren't usually the best solution to a batch problem.
[...]

OK I tried this. I came up with:

1) create a local shell script called conv containing these lines:

#!/bin/sh
echo converting $1 to ${1/\.wav/.mp3}
lame $1 ${1/\.wav/.mp3}

2) Make it executable:
$ chmnod +x conv

3) run find
find . -name "*.wav" -exec ./conv {} \;

All wav files in the local directory and its subdirectories will be
converted to mp3: the names will be the same with .wav changed to .mp3
It that's not exactly what you wanted, edit accordingly.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk