[linux-audio-user] Converting w64 to wav

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jan 9 14:53:14 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:22:58PM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> what is the best and easiest way to convert a w64-file (from timemachine) into
> a wav-file? I am trying "sndfile <w64-file> <wav-filename>" but except 100%
> CPU-usage for _really_ long time nothing happens. No new file, no changes, no
> stopping after a time.
> I know that one of [audacity|sweep] opens w64-files but loads them into memory
> fully and the file to convert is 2.5GB.
> Can anybody give me some hints?

WAV files have a 2GB limit, which is why timemachine records W64's by
default. You probably need to chop it up into two smaller files with
something that can process W64's (ecasound?) and then convert those to
WAVs seperatly.

Anther option would be to convert to .au if thats useful to you, I think
it doesnt have a hard file length limit.

Did timemachine work OK for you for the long recording? It wasn't
originally designed for that sort of thing, but I tried to proof it
against long running bugs when someone else wanted to use it for long,
multi-channel recordings.

[OT] I have no idea why someone chose to add a required, fixed length file
length parameter to the WAV format, but they deserve a good wack with the
clue stick.

- Steve