[linux-audio-user] Converting w64 to wav - Not solved but somehow invalid

Arnold Krille arnold at roederberg.dyndns.org
Sun Jan 9 15:39:12 EST 2005

Hi all,

Disclaimer: I just realized that ardour also opens w64-files, so there is no
need to convert...

On Sunday 09 January 2005 20:53, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:22:58PM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > what is the best and easiest way to convert a w64-file (from timemachine)
> > into a wav-file? I am trying "sndfile <w64-file> <wav-filename>" but
> > except 100% CPU-usage for _really_ long time nothing happens. No new
> > file, no changes, no stopping after a time.
> > I know that one of [audacity|sweep] opens w64-files but loads them into
> > memory fully and the file to convert is 2.5GB.
> > Can anybody give me some hints?
> WAV files have a 2GB limit, which is why timemachine records W64's by
> default. You probably need to chop it up into two smaller files with
> something that can process W64's (ecasound?) and then convert those to
> WAVs seperatly.

Yep, I forgot. It wouldn't make sence to convert without splitting.

> Did timemachine work OK for you for the long recording? It wasn't
> originally designed for that sort of thing, but I tried to proof it
> against long running bugs when someone else wanted to use it for long,
> multi-channel recordings.

Yep, timemachine is great! Especially for live-recordings where you only need
to start and stop the recording. (There isn't really more to do if the
liveband is playing od the preacher is talking.)

Thanks for timemachine, Steve!

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

 -- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe