[linux-audio-user] RME HDSP PCMCIA Problems

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 07:04:47 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:46:50AM +0000, Aengus Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Planet CCRMA Fedora Core 1 on a Dell inspiron laptop
> with a RME hammerfall/multiface setup. I ran alsaconf and it set up
> the card with no complaints. Running hdsploader makes the 'host error'
> light go off on the multiface. I have recorded and played back
> audacity and played files with xmms.
>
> That's where the joy ends though. I have the following problems:
> * pd will not run - it gives this output:
> using non-interleaved audio input
> Sample width set to 4 bytes
> ALSA: set input channels to 14
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:324:(snd_pcm_hw_hw_params) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS
> failed: Device or resource busy
> snd_pcm_hw_params (input): Device or resource busy
> pd: pcm.c:4973: snd_pcm_sw_params_current: Assertion `pcm->setup' failed.
> Pd: signal 6
> Aborted

Sorry, cant help there, but if you have jack running OK, you should be
able to run pd -jack.

> * ardour won't run, output is:
> Ardour/GTK 0.554.0 running with libardour 0.855.0
> Copyright 1999-2004 Paul Davis
> Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> Aborted

You need jack running first.

> * rosegarden says audio not working

> * jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 outputs:
> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods

Thats what it should do, after its done that try running arodur in another
terminal. For confirmation you can start it via qjackctl, which has
graphical feedback showing when jack is running.

- Steve