[linux-audio-user] recommended music, was [OT] Steely Dan

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Tue Jan 11 07:45:36 EST 2005

Greetings:

  I'm not much into pop stuff anymore, so my recommendations are a bit
different:

    the Fandango from Tres Piezas Espanolas by Joaquin Rodrigo, played
by Andres Segovia
       (great piece, astonishing guitar performance to make even the
Skunk turn green with envy)

    Rothko Chapel, by Morton Feldman
       (one of the most beautiful compositions of the 20th century)

    Form for Piano, by Stefan Wolpe
       (a small masterwork by a terribly overlooked composer)

    Concerto for Orchestra
    String Quartets
    Syringa
       all by Elliott Carter (I should just recommend anything by
Elliott Carter)

    I Put A Spell On You, as recorded by Natacha Atlas
       (Screamin' Jay would love it...)

    Enta Omri, by Om Kholsoom
       (the Voice, none better)

    After The Rain, by John Coltrane
       (beautiful, beautiful, beautiful music)

    all the Budd/Eno ambient music

    Pli Selon Pli, by Pierre Boulez
       (my all-time favorite piece by PB)

    O Virga Mediatrix
    O Tu Suavissima Virga
    O Virdissima Virga
       all by Hildegard von Bingen, all ravishingly beautiful

    just about anything by Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Jelly Roll
Morton, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Thelonius Monk, Charlie Parker...

    The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines, by Joni Mitchell (well, really it's
Jaco's tune, but Joni sang it)

    all of Aja, by Steely Dan
       (well, they *are* pretty good, and ya just gotta love a band that
would name itself after a Bill Burroughs reference to a dildo...)

    Pony Blues, Down The Dirt Road, and High Water Everywhere, by
Charlie Patton
       (real blues)

    anything by Howlin' Wolf, Skip James, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters,
JB Lenoir, Magic Sam...
       (more real blues)

I suppose that reveals what I like to listen for in music... :-)

Best,

dp