[linux-audio-user] fluxbox beep: how to get rid of it?

Frank Neumann beachnase at web.de
Thu Jan 13 19:23:40 EST 2005

Hi list,
nescivi <nescivi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like the look and all that, the only thing that I have not been able
> to get rid of is the system beep when I give some input it doesn't
> like (trying to scroll further than there is text in emacs for
> example). And this system beep tends to be quite loud over a good PA.
> Does anyone know where I can turn that thing off in fluxbox?

I'm not 100% sure, but this should not depend on your window manager, but
rather on the individual application you are working in.

Examples:
- In the bash, to turn off the beep when e.g. completion does not give you
  a unique result, you need to create a ~/.inputrc and put into it:

  set bell-style off

  This will silence ALL applications that are based on libreadline, not
  just bash.

- In vi, to avoid the bell when..well, almost everywhere :-), you could
  put this into your .exrc or .vimrc:
  :set vb
  (vb = visualbell)

I believe for emacs something similar should exist, but I'm not an emacs
user.

Hope that helps,
Frank