[linux-audio-user] JACK timemachine and W64 file format

Arnold Krille arnold at roederberg.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 14 04:08:20 EST 2005

On Friday 14 January 2005 03:03, Jon B wrote:
> For some reason I was under the impression that W64 was used because
> it saved 32-bit floating point data and therefore didn't clip; not

Every soundformat can clip, the reason is not within soundformats but within
the analog-digital-converters. These little nice boxes convert some
continuous signal ranging from min to max into discret digital values.
Everything above max and below min can not be resolved and gets the values of
max/min and therefor sounds clipped.
With correct settings you can (and should) adjust the level of your analog
signal that way that it doesn't go above max or below min but creating an adc
which has a very wide range between min and max _and_ a good and small
resolution between the discret digital values is not possible.

So I can only tell you the same things I tell the students doing experiments
in the lab: You can get very good results with ad-converters but you have to
use the right settings to not get a to "loud" and therefor clipped or a to
silent and therefor noisy signal.

So if the sounddata in your file has clippings right after the recording, you
are in real trouble and will have either to delete the recording or try to
manually adjust the clips if there are only a few...

Arnold

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

 -- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe