[linux-audio-user] Probing modules

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Sun Jan 16 08:53:36 EST 2005

> Vendor IDs can be found under the /proc/pci.  Most modules
> do actually give the option of loading with a certain
> vendor id if they support more than one chipset.

When using modinfo $MODULENAME, I see the parameters:

parm:           index:Index value
parm:           id:ID string

But what are the ID and index strings compared to
cat /proc/pci, and how can I use them in conjunction with
modprobe?

I have googled yesterday, but I didn't find matching pages.
Most people load modules without parameters.

> A more reliable thing you can do is check to see which card
> was loaded by comparing /proc/pci with /proc/asound/cards,
> both of which list unique characteristics that can be used
> to determine if a card was loaded (or if more than one was
> loaded, etc).  Just to be clear, /proc/pci lists everything
> on your PCI bus.  /proc/asound/cards lists all cards for
> which you have loaded modules.

Interesting idea, thanks.

 Best regards

    ce