[linux-audio-user] What is the best choice for a pro PCI soundcard?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Jan 16 12:30:07 EST 2005

Hi Janina,

Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> writes:

> Steve D writes:
>> Re: M-Audio Delta 1010
>>
>> I also use and like the Delta 1010. For those considering it, be sure to
>> install the very nice "envy24control" program that gives a user a GUI to
>> manipulate the mixer and other features and controls of the ice1712
>> processing chip that the Delta 1010 uses. (envy24control is contained
>> within the alsa-tools package)
>>
> I tend to understand this as a "yes" to my question, and that using this
> mixer is the means to control hw mixing/resampling. Is that correct?
>
> If so, I wonder if Mario can take a look at this code and report on how
> easy it might be to make it accessible.

At a quick glance, the major problem is that envy24control uses
GTK 1.2 and not 2.x.  This makes enabling accessibility for it
kind of non-trivial I guess.  At least I don't know how to port a GTK 1.2
app to 2.x.  If anyone capable of doing so with some free time reads this, it
would be a worthwhile job to do.

Background:  Only since GTK 2.x it is possible to use GTK applications
in combination with screen reading technologies for the blind.  All
GTK 1.2 apps are per definition not accessible to people with
visual disabilities.

--
CYa,
  Mario