[linux-audio-user] multiband compression with ecasound and ladspa

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Wed Jan 19 12:23:35 EST 2005

Mario Lang <mlang at delysid.org> writes:

> Janina, I certainly understand your point, but I also think there
> is a danger here.  We shouldn't tell people that if they *only* use
> GTK2, all is well.  After all, I still prefer the text based
> user interfaces very much above using Gnopernicus and GNOME.  I wouldn't
> like if GNOME accessibility ment that flexible program design goes
> down the drain.

I didn't take his message in that sense.  Just that it may be possible
to do something with less than a major version rework of JAMin.

> Jack, I really like the idea of expanding on the OSC interface and making
> parameters OSC controllable, that allows for easy scripting and
> remote control from whatever app you might end up needing it.

Agreed.  It would be good to have.  Eventually, someone will probably
provide general support for passing MIDI controller input over OSC.

That might make a good "eyes free" interface.

> That said, yes, it is wonderful that GTK2 now offers some sort
> of accessibility support, but I am not convinced that this is
> the best we can get.  The UNIX idea, keep it simple and flexible, is
> what fascinates me about Linux/Unix apps, not "a desktop".
> In fact, judging from my personal taste, I am not sure if I am going
> to use GNOME for much else than running Mozilla (if that ever
> starts to be useful).  I still feel that using a classical GUI
> if you are blind is an error per design.  True, it might be a good workaround,
> but it is in no way the ideal interface.  And it wastes CPU cycles,
> maybe even increases latency, to use all the overhead...

Not the best, but better than nothing, perhaps.
--
  joq   "If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid."