[linux-audio-user] ams PCM input?

Chuck Martin nrocinu at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 20 16:30:04 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 09:58:47AM -0500, Jon B wrote:
> i don't know why they don't make guitars (i assume this is for guitar)
> with a small current on each string and calculate the note from which
> frets and strings are making electrical contact.  you couldn't do
> vibrato, but that would be a great way to input exact notes.  but then
> you could combine that with the pitch and envelope recognition to get
> more of the timbre of the instrument.  it would just give a definite
> value for the pitch.

I believe there was a company that did that a long time ago.  I think
the company was from Sweden, and I'm not sure, but I think the name of
the company was Hagstrom, or something like that.  I think it was before
the days of MIDI, but I recall seeing a guy playing the organ on one,
using a two handed technique like Eddie Van Halen, but without the
actual hammer-ons and pull-offs, using glissandos and everything.  It
was before the days of miniaturization, and that guitar was literally
filled with electronics.

Chuck