[linux-audio-user] Re: Raton-Conductor

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Tue Jan 18 13:27:27 EST 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 18:03, linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu
wrote:
> I recently created a Python module that taps right into the ALSA sequencer,
> and it makes it possible to build MIDI applications very quickly. Your
> suggestion sounds like a neat project to do with such Python techniques,

Like to have a look!

> but I'm afraid I don't fully understand it yet (I tried googling for
> MagicBaton, but all pertinent websites seem to point back to a defunct
> product page).

Yes, I think the whole thing, many years dated, is now defunct. I had fun with
the program but only made use of it once to "hand-sync" a MIDI sequence into
and around a solo voice with very much rubatto.

> So, the idea is to conduct something using mouse motions, but what exactly
> are you conducting? Are you affecting the way a .mid file is played, or
> does MagicBaton provide some sort of virtual orchestra, or what...?

MagicBaton came with a few synphonic MIDIs, some Mozart, Beethoven, etc.One
could "rehearse",. that is, effect one channel at a time, and save the
results (best use disabling tempo changes). Then, after being satisfied with
the dynamics of the modified MIDI, one could conduct the whole thing.

The program either simply played or enabled editing the MIDI files using the
mouse as a baton.