[linux-audio-user] [OT] Switching workspaces or ping-pongingscreens?

Erik Thorsson ethorsson at neoprimitive.net
Sat Jan 22 11:20:09 EST 2005

 > But doesn't Linux enable
 > us to switch virtual workspaces with a single key combination?

Sure it does.  How you do it depends on what window manager you're
running, but there has to be a way.

I run blackbox with bbkeys, and I use Shift+ArrowRight/Left to move
between virtual desktops.  I have three set up, so I am always one
Shift+ArrowKey away from whichever workspace I want.  I don't know what
I'll do if I ever have to go back to Windows with a single desktop.

Here's my .bbkeysrc...

[START OF FILE]

# bbkeys config file, automagically generated by bbconf.

# Close a window
KeyToGrab(C), WithModifier(Mod1+Shift), WithAction(Close)
KeyToGrab(F4), WithModifier(Mod1), WithAction(Close)

# Open the root menu
KeyToGrab(F1), WithModifier(Mod1), WithAction(RootMenu)

# Maxi/minimize
KeyToGrab(X), WithModifier(Mod1+Shift), WithAction(MaximizeWindow)

# Window movement
KeyToGrab(Up), WithModifier(Control+Shift), WithAction(BigNudgeUp)
KeyToGrab(Down), WithModifier(Control+Shift), WithAction(BigNudgeDown)
KeyToGrab(Left), WithModifier(Control+Shift), WithAction(BigNudgeLeft)
KeyToGrab(Right), WithModifier(Control+Shift), WithAction(BigNudgeRight)

# alt+tab window switching
KeyToGrab(Tab), WithModifier(Mod1), WithAction(NextWindow)
KeyToGrab(Tab), WithModifier(Shift+Mod1), WithAction(PrevWindow)

# shift+right/left workspace switching
KeyToGrab(Right), WithModifier(Shift), WithAction(NextWorkspace)
KeyToGrab(Left), WithModifier(Shift), WithAction(PrevWorkspace)

# Run an Eterm with alt+m
KeyToGrab(M), WithModifier(Control+Shift), WithAction(ExecCommand),
DoThis(Eterm --font edges --trans --shade=70 --scrollbar=0 --buttonbar=0
--geometry=100x35)

[END OF FILE]

-E