[linux-audio-user] Re: Korg Keyboard running Linux

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Tue Jan 25 11:46:05 EST 2005

Have you ever wondered why the new OASYS, Nord Modular G2, etc.
have digital rotary knobs with the LED lights on the base
of the knob? The knobs have a problem: when one does not look at
the knobs from top, the LEDs are hidden by the knob itself and
thus the value may go unseen.

It appears that Euphonix (http://www.euphonix.com) has a patent
on the knob where the LEDs are on the top of the knob (instead
of base). LEDs are always visible.

Why I wanted to tell all this is that prior the patent, when
we had an electronics club at our elementary school, we came
up with this patented knob design -- and we thought and laughed
that it already must have been patented multiple times. Wrong.

I have made an alternative design by now.

Juhana