[linux-audio-user] Re: Decent reverb, and DSP in hardware?

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Thu Jan 27 08:09:22 EST 2005

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> OK. I will look at the reverb problem. I want to have the impulse
>  (1) Vocals.
>  (2) Guitars.
>  (3) Flutes.
>  (4) Drums.
> Check impulses at "http://www.noisevault.com" or record yourself.
> Please convert to wav format and upload to
>   ftp://ftp.funet.fi/incoming/audio/
>
> Were (1)-(4) the most wanted reverb settings? What else?

I seem to remember things like Hall 1, Hall 2, Big Room,
Small Room, Cathederal etc as being really basic options
on some cheap crappy old stuff I have fiddled with in the
past.

> How to get most spacious but nearby vocals? Does people use other
> effects together with reverb for vocals?

Overall limiting/compression and a spinoff of that that
used to be called "ducking" (sideband something?) where
a vocal track triggers higher compression on other tracks
so that the vocal track "cuts thru" more when it kicks in.
Some amount of delay can be useful and obviously multi
band eq to pull out some presence if the source is a bit
dull.

> I can provide examples of
> good vocals if you want to examine them.

I'm always interested in reviewing anything audio. I live
fairly isolated from "normal" people so anything I can
tap into over the net that rises above RTFM is most welcome.

--markc