[linux-audio-user] LAU podcasting

Greg Wilder greg at gregwilder.com
Thu Jan 27 10:32:41 EST 2005

This is a fantastic idea - and I'd like to offer some help along with some
thoughts...

Like you, I've been watching the growing influence of podcasts with great
interest.  As you mentioned, there's much potential for the medium - while at
the same time - there's plenty of poorly produced (read: unlistenable) stuff
out there.

Instead of inviting everyone to simply record descriptions of their studio
rigs, would it make more sense for the *community* to create an interesting
format as well as the content?  Imagine a "community* built and maintined
padcast focused on Linux audio!

Maybe a wiki segment, a gear review segment, edited segments directly
contributed by Linux users as well as other listeners, software development
reviews, email question of the week, interviews with developers, whatever.
If we hope to gain listener interest in an effort to broaden the community,
we will need to put together an organized podcast that is both entertaining
and informative.

I'm a audio professional (www.gregwilder.com) in an unusual situation - I have
direct access to actors (read: voice talent & personality) in
Philadelphia/NYC who might very well be interested in contributing their time
in return for exposure.  My studio (www.steeprockmedia.com)  runs 90%
GNU/Linux and is capable of better than broadcast quality.  (Much of my work
produced using open-source tools has been heard on TV, radio, blah, blah...)

If we could get a community effort together to create the format and content,
I'd be willing to consider donating my studio time and experience in order to
produce the show.

Thoughts?
Greg Wilder