[linux-audio-user] Decent reverb, and DSP in hardware?

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Thu Jan 27 13:39:07 EST 2005

Jon Morin <jon.j.morin at gmail.com>:
> You are 100 percent correct, except for this: some people (like me)
> make our music in a small project studio or apartment, and have no
> easy access to great sounding rooms.  If I could record my tracks in

Sonically the most beautiful room to record in is your nearest forest. I
learned a lot about reverberation there. A matter of taste I guess.

Call it great, call it beautiful, whatever. I think it's about whether
you and your listeners can relate to the sonic space you build or not.
It's easy to relate to something that is real, you know?

Let's say that convolution comes close. Can you relate to, say the
impulse response of the Cathedral of Reims? You'd remember your frozen
nose from sitting there. If you had played an instrument in there like
its organ that would have made an inspirational difference. Choosing
"cath_reims.ir" from a list of presets instead ... well, wouldn't that
be a bit thin?

The effort you put into going to Reims or going to the woods or finding
that special mic-position and corner in your home studio will shine in
your music. Some call it soul.

Wolfgang