[linux-audio-user] Way to suspend Jack clients

JP Mercury swirlee at stickist.com
Sun Jan 30 00:37:35 EST 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a way to suspend Jack clients so that their DSP process()
callbacks are temporarily bypassed and outputs replaced with silence. I'd like
to do this from a server level.

I see using various softsynths and apps together in a live situation. This is
part of refining my toolkit of instruments that I use for looping and
performance. What I'd like to do is suspend apps that I'm not currently using
to keep CPU cycles down. For example, AMS alone eats 50% for those fabulous
analog sounds in 4 voices. I'd like to be able to switch between AMS, Beatrix,
Aeolus, Hexter, and other apps without all that loading, exiting, and
reconnecting of ports.

As far as I know there is currently no way to tell the Jack server to suspend
clients. Short of patching each of my favorite apps to do the suspend, can
anyone see a way?? Or perhaps Paul would consider adding this functionality to
Jack.

Thank You &

Kind Regards,
-Mercury