[linux-audio-user] (no subject)

Jon Morin jon.j.morin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 14:11:07 EST 2005

>> Also, I've got about 4,000 cassette tapes I would
> like >> to digitize. I can do about 1.5 a day with it
> playing >> at regular speeds.
>
> Prioritize before you digitize!  Do you really care if
> ALL 4000 make into CD/ogg/whatever?  Tag your
> favorites or the rarest, or the ones that are most
> urgent, condition-wise, and go from there.

Wow!  I have a similar project going, but I thought that I had it bad
with a few hundred tapes :)  Prioritizing has been key, since many
have the same tunes on them, different versions.

It's actually a fairly involved project.  My first home recording
setup was an old Fostex 4 track cassette machine and a small mixer.
Now I've got 150 multitrack cassettes laying around and no machine to
play them on.  What I do is use my very high quality standard cassette
deck to play them into the computer to digitize them, flip the tape
over to get tracks 3 and 4, import them into Audacity, reverse tracks
3 and 4 (they are backwards since the recorder recorded all 4 tracks
in one direction), cut the tracks up into individual songs, and time
shift tracks 3 and 4 to sync up to tracks 1 and 2 (to account for
small differences in the digitizing and for tape stretch).  Now I have
a reasonably workable version of all of the original tracks to edit,
clean up, and remix.  Most of it was recorded in my junior high school
days, so it's just more sentimental than anything, but nice to have.
Audacity has been a lifesaver for this kind of work, and I'll be
remixing them with Ardour.  I don't know if I'll bother mastering them
afterwards, since it was pretty lo-fi stuff to begin with.

Jon M.