[linux-audio-user] RME Multiface with ALSA 1.08

thomas charbonnel thomas at undata.org
Mon Jan 31 17:02:23 EST 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote :
> On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 22:42, Kevin Ernste wrote:
> > After further testing I found that the lack of sound on the headphone
> > out occured on my system only with rdt kernels from PlanetCCRMA (go
> > figure).  Other Planet kernels. including
> > kernel-2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc3.ccrma work perfectly with the new driver.
>
> That is strange. If you installed the 1.0.8 alsa-kernel-module packages
> for both then they should all be using the same version of of the hdsp
> kernel mdoule....
>
> > I will investigate the cause, but wanted users watching this thread
> > and planning an upgrade not to hesitate.  The recent patches to hdsp.c
> > are a godsend, thanks again, Thomas.
>
> -- Fernando
>
> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:35:23 -0500, Kevin Ernste <kevinernste at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks Lee.  Good to know.
> > >
> > > My primary concern was that this error message appeared at a glance to
> > > be related to the loss of signal in the Analog output ( "mismatch
> > > (Line Out/Precise Pointer for control #22") and that this information
> > > might be useful to Thomas should this issue be something other users
> > > report with this new version.

Hi,

The problem is not a kernel problem. There is an alsa ctl called "Line
Out" that controls the fact that the line outs are powered on. By
default they are. As I removed some obsolete ctls and created new ones
in the update, the name/number association changed. This confused
alsactl. It probably tried to restore the stored value even if the ctl
name had changed (passthru defaulted to 0 IIRC), thus muting the line
outs. The driver should work with both kernels. You can change the value
of the Line Out ctl with amixer, and then regenerate
your /etc/asound.state file.

Thomas