[linux-audio-user] Using Linux as Bass amp

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Sat Jul 2 11:46:40 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:19:12 +0200
Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de> wrote:

> I just ordereed an electric bass (passive). I'd like to
> directly plug it in into my soundcard and to use Linux as an
> amplifier (and record it to ardour, of course).
>
> As I'm not yet familiar to basses and guitars yet, I wonder
> what I should use for the bass.

You're not really going to be able to do this, at least not well.
The signal put out by the passive bass is not going to be enough to
get a decent sound, no matter how you process it with plugins.

I just talked to my bass-playing son, who recommended looking at DI
(direct input) boxes, and suggests that if you really need to do this on
the cheap, Digitech makes a line of effects pedals for the bass that
have both amp and mixer output jacks, and that the mixer jack will be
OK to plug right into a soundcard.  He recommends the Bass Driver pedal,
which will give you some good sounds.  If you have an amp (either bass or
guitar), you might have an output on there that'll do the trick as well.

Hope this helps!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com
\Without deviation from the norm, "progress" is not possible. - FZappa