[linux-audio-user] laptop-compatible interface?

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at aol.com
Sat Jul 2 17:43:44 EDT 2005

Hello,

We use an hdsp multiface on our laptop for playback and recording.  It's
a wonderful interface, but its connection from the box to the cardbus is
a terrible liability, as the cardbus card connection is flimsy, falls
out easily, and also breaks easily (we are on our third cable currently,
and we may need to get a new cardbus card soon)...

I'm wondering if there is any pcmcia interface at the quality level of
the multiface that wouldn't have such a terrible cable connection, and
which is also supported by linux.  Freebob is promising, but as we
understand it's not nearly at production level yet.  The only other kind
of thing I can think of is one of those $1000 Magma pci-to-pcmcia
interfaces they use with protools, which might allow us to use a real
pci device like a delta 1010, or even the hdsp with a reliable
connection.  They claim to be compatible with laptops running red hat 9
up to kernel 2.6.5, after which it hasn't been tested.  Has anyone used
something like this successfully with newer kernels/distros?

Thanks,

Matt Barber